2012-04-26

An Awesome Opportunity: Dryden Social

My life is usually a little on the mundane side.

But on May 4th, I get to do something *really* cool: visit the Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards AFB, CA.

As part of a #NASASocial, Dryden is hosting its first ever #DrydenSocial, and it has invited 75 of its followers from Facebook, Twitter and G+ to come see the facilities, some historic aircraft, and hear a little about what research is currently being conducted at Dryden, and meet with some of the pilots who conduct this research. They are currently working to make sonic booms quieter to advance the possibility of domestic supersonic air travel, and they have even threatened us with the possibility of being able to experience a sonic boom in person!

Beyond all of this, being able to visit the Dryden Flight Research Center is something that I have wanted to do my entire life. A California resident since birth, I grew up knowing that cool things happened there, and research is constantly being conducted in many different areas of study to better our understanding of flight, and just what can be accomplished when we dare to dream. Edwards AFB was the site of the Shuttle landings early in the program, almost exclusively, and it has been crucial to the development of most military, and many civilian aircraft since the jet age. This is where Chuck Yeager first broke the sound barrier!

My thanks to the Dryden team, and NASA for putting this event together, and for picking me as a participant! This is one of the coolest opportunities that I have ever had, and I am so excited, I can not wait!

Watch this space for an update following the event!

No comments:

Post a Comment